Friday, May 25, 2012

Cantina di Montalcino Sangiovese Poggio del Sasso 2005 IGT

Variety: 100% Sangiovese
Country of origin: Italy
Wine appellation: Tuscany
Vintage: 2005
Alcohol content: 13.0%
Color: medium garnet red with bricky meniscus
Bouquet: very expressive, lots of dried fruits,  you can smell tannins (if u know what I mean)
Taste: medium body, very good structure in the mouth, canned fruit playing preludium with intermezzo being directed by canned sour cherries and black currant to rest on good tannins foundation,which is drying nicely your mouth, medium finish
Recommended food pairing: on its own, or good dried spanish salami
Overall score: 84
Price: CZK 199
Stopper: screw cap
I found this wine in m cellar and the only thing I can add is wits very very good! The wine developed so nicely that I regret not buying more than two bottles. The nose is so complex of dried fruits and tannins that you cannot find easily in new world wine. I checked my web and found the same wine , but 2006 vintage tasted in 2009 here with very different description, more on fruitier side, maybe sangiovese needs aging and also 2005 vintage could have been very different from 2006 tasted in 2009.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't think Sangiovese was good for aging but good to know!

    ReplyDelete